I love when I read other posts or magazine articles that have unique, fun or just plain crazy gift ideas. There is always someone on my list that I have to give a super clever gift to! Some of these are thoughtful and interesting and some just incredibly corny, but I find everyone needs a unique gift now and again. Either you have that someone to buy for that needs absolute nothing, or sometimes a silly office exchange that you need a clever gift to give. Whatever your reasons may be, these are some absolutely great gifts that I think are the perfect for that someone special and it is something unique that isn’t found at the mall!
1) I can’t even believe I am sharing this one because I love it so much that I want a super cool new house where I can use this in my decor. But I love my new readers so I will share. These are the most amazing Vintage-style Marquee letters. I can see these over a bar or even in a teen bedroom or even spelling out your family’s initials or motto. I have always loved vintage but I actually kind of think these are modern too. Great gift for that someone that has a quirky sense of style.
2) This is a hilarious funny gift for a close friend or a shower/Jack & Jill gift….probably not a recommended office gift! The Betty Beauty Company provides hair colour for the “hair down there”. And I don’t want to post images here but if you google images for this product you can see, *ahem*, exactly how it looks when applied. Quite hilarious and always reminds me of that Sex and the City episode when Samantha found a few ‘greys’. I find this so funny. I hope you do too! In the words of the owner Nancy Jarecki “I think of Betty Beauty as a company specializing in beauty secrets – products not on the market that solve beauty problems or just make us look and feel great.”
3) BlackFish the Movie – I watched this movie a few weeks ago and it literally shook me to the core. First, remembering Sealand of the Pacific in Victoria and visiting it in 1990, I remembered feeling sorry for those poor whales in that big bathtub even back then. I also have recently witnessed a humpback whale that washed up on shore in our town in the past year and so I have a new found respect for whales in general, having seen this amazing animal up close. This is a gift that is thought-provoking and emotional and I think every kid should watch it! Mine watched it twice!
“Killer whales are beloved majestic, friendly giants yet infamous for their capacity to kill viciously. BLACKFISH unravels the complexities of this dichotomy, employing the story of the notorious performing whale Tilikum, who – unlike any orca in the wild – has taken the lives of several people while in captivity. BLACKFISH expands on the discussion of keeping such intelligent creatures in captivity.”
4) Tieks Ballet Flats – I had never heard of these unique ballet flats until they sponsored our Stella & Dot conference in Vegas this past summer. These are foldable flats that are designed to be comfortable and easy to change into after a night of dancing. I have to admit, they did hurt my feet at first but once I got used to them and broke them in a bit, they became the most comfy flats I have ever owned. They are available in a tonne of interesting colours and textures and I believe there may be a once a year sale coming up for Black Friday. I warn you that they are expensive ($180 and up) but the most awesome supple leather that makes them worth every penny. And the packaging they come in is super cute.
5) Shark Tank Book – I love these kinds of books and as an avid watcher of Shark Tank, I think that it’s kind of a nice, business-how-to book that you can read in an afternoon. Not too heavy, but success-feel-good stories.
“From the ABC hit show “Shark Tank,” this book-filled with practical advice and introductions from the Sharks themselves-will be the ultimate resource for anyone thinking about starting a business or growing the one they have. Full of tips for navigating the confusing world of entrepreneurship, the book will intersperse words of wisdom with inspirational stories from the show.
6) Stella & Dot – I couldn’t do a best of list and not include my own S&D. I am serious though, if my husband was smart and savvy enough to seek out a stylist to buy or find a catalogue around the house with ear-marked pages and call or email someone to order, I think I would be super appreciative. Because that takes a bit more effort and to me that is worth as much as the gift itself.